Main menu

Pages

The death toll from the Indonesia earthquake rises to 8 and 12 injured



The death toll from the earthquake that struck the Indonesian island of Java, with a magnitude of 6 on the Richter scale, has risen to 8 dead and 12 injured. In addition, more than 1,300 buildings were damaged.

 

The American ABC News reported today, Sunday, that the head of the earthquake and tsunami center in Indonesia, Rahmat Triono, said that the underwater earthquake was not strong enough to lead to a tsunami, but he urged people to stay away from Landslides or rocks are likely to produce landslides.

 

The US Geological Survey had earlier reported that the earthquake occurred at 2 pm yesterday, Saturday, and was at a depth of 82 km, and its epicenter was 45 km south of a town in Malang County, East Java province.

 

In a related context, the Indonesian President, Joko Widodo, ordered the immediate response to emergency operations, to search for victims of the strong earthquake that occurred on the island of Java, Indonesia.

 

The earthquake did not cause a tsunami, but did damage to more than 1,300 buildings, Widodo said.

 

TV reports showed citizens running in panic from shopping malls and buildings in several cities in East Java province.

 

This is the second deadly disaster to hit Indonesia this week, after Tropical Cyclone Seroga, where heavy rains on Sunday killed at least 174 people and left 48 others missing in the eastern province of Nusa Tenggara.

Comments